Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dirty Diapers Anyone?




Our "adopted" grandmother.

Today I changed the diaper of our 97 year old friend (adopted grandmother) who is presently bed-ridden.  It wasn’t me that did it because nothing in the selfish me desires to do such a thing. Who would?  Changing dirty diapers when our kids were babies was a challenge in itself.  Our friend suffered a heart attack according to the doctors, and they ordered hospice for her.  She is now living with us.

Despite the dirty diapers, I can’t tell you the joy it brings me to serve our friend, to love her.  I only wish she could truly know of
how being able to do this for her has been a blessing to me. It has drawn me closer to the Lord, and that is where I want to be because I lived most of my life far, far away from Him.

For so long I wondered if Jesus’ Spirit really lived inside of me.  I wondered how I would know.  He keeps showing me!  I myself am a selfish, hard-headed (my husband and family will tell you just how hard; you ever tried cracking open a coconut?) woman.  I myself don’t have enough love in me to really love others.  And I myself certainly don’t have what it takes to want to change dirty diapers on an adult!  So, when I do think of others, love them, and humble myself, I know it is Jesus and not me. He lives inside of me!

If you ever wonder if Jesus is dead, I can vouch that He is not; He’s alive!  He lives in me and so often I ask myself “why?” Why would our Holy Savior desire to live in me?  I know it’s nothing I’ve ever done nor ever will do for that matter that makes Him want to be inside of me.  It’s just His great love and mercy spelled out as GRACE! I am overwhelmed by it, blown away, and when I get to the point that I am not then I mine as well not be living.  What good is life unless it’s lived in the manner God created it to be?

To live is to know Jesus personally and when we do, our socks will continually be knocked off by His love, a love that gave His life for ours! So what are we waiting for? Get out there and love people; knock their socks off so they can see that Jesus is alive and He is the reason we live!  Who knows maybe you will get to change some dirty diapers along the way too!    - Elizabeth

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.  John 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment